Monday, October 21, 2013

Wales

I had 4 great days in Iceland. It was very relaxing wandering about and soaking up the atmosphere of this amazing country. Finally I boarded an Icelandair plane bound for Heathrow. I was really looking forward to this part of the trip, having thoroughly enjoyed myself on my last visit to Wales last year. I learnt a great deal about sea kayaking in a very short period of time from John Willacy , my coach and sat for my British Canoe Union 4* Leader award and passed so it was all good! This time I intended to begin training toward gaining my 5* level and John was to be my coach again this year. His style of teaching and directness suit me down to the ground. I drove from London overnight up to Holyhead, on the Welsh island of Anglesey and sorted out my accomodation, and went round to visit a good mate of mine that was supplying my kayak for my stay, Mike Webb of Rockpool Kayaks. Over the next 5 days I received about 34 hours of valuable coaching from John, another 7 hours navigation training from Ollie Sanders and caught up with lots of friends and made quite a few new ones. It couldn't have been better :-) Plus I got to paddle at the famous Penrhyn Mawr tiderace as well as some other challenging water in various locations. The time passed all too quickly and it wasn't long before i was driving to Manchester to catch a flight headed south.... What an Adventure!

Llanberis
South Stack
Snowdonia

  



Menai Straits (image John Willacy)
 




Penrhyn Mawr

 

Menai Straits (image John Willacy)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment